Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lincoln Offline OP
OP Offline

I am an actor and need to learn dialogue WORD FOR WORD, often and quickly.

This is very difficult for me and the main reason I just bought this course.

Often this dialogue is conversational and does not have a lot of nouns or images which makes it very hard to link visually. Thinks like "how are you?" and "I can't take it anymore." When there's a lot of that together, it runs together really easily.

I currently am linking one concept from each sentence to the ABC list and hoping that the other words fall into place.

I NEED TO GET TO THE POINT WHERE I DON"T HAVE TO BE THINKING ABOUT THE WORDS AT ALL so that I can concentrate on connecting with the other characters and physical actions.

I was hoping that the course would have more on memorizing word for word.

Please help!

You can check out my TV and Film work here: www.lincolnhoppe.com

Administrator
Administrator

Tony Buzan in his book Use Your Memory writes that most people try to learn line by line. However according to him famous actors and actreses use the reverse P172
quote:
"In this system the material to be remembered is read and reread quickly (see Speed (and Range) Reading)and with understanding over a period of four day, approximately five to 10 times per day.

He goes on to say that after the 20 time you find that you are able to recall the information without looking at the text. Especially if you use imagination to help you understand. Additionally he says this system can be improved by using a image and link system.

He seems to suggest that part of the link system should be the last words from the previous speaker and the first words of the next speaker. So you could be looking at applying your ABC lists in this way.

You might want to get a hold of the book and check pages 172 and 173 (a quick read in the bookstore the subheading is Dramatic Parts and Poems near the end of the book) The rest of the book explains other link systems and memory techniques.

Alex

The Memory Optimizer does have a section on memorizing "ideas" for a speech. Remember, the course is about improving your memory not just memorization. However, to improve word for word memorization, you can still use the ideas in the course.

Utilize the ideas in the Learning Tricks section. First, make sure that you understand your lines. Connect the general idea to something already in your memory web. For word for word memorization, work in small modules, learning a sentence or two at a time. Use repetition. And use Virtual Reality. Mentally rehearse your lines part of the time, and say them out loud at other times. Eventually, your lines will become part of your knowledge and memory.

The same tricks that can help for exanding-your-vocabulary can also help with learning speeches word for word. Record yourself saying the speech, and listen to the tape, even if you have to be doing something else. This passive listening will help improve your memorization.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited February 12, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited February 12, 2003).]

Just a note on using repetition. This is an effective technique, but does not mean repeat mindlessly. Instead, always visualize your own images with each repetition. Just like learning a new language, visualize an image for everything you hear or say. This will build the necessary connections for remembering later on.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved