Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

I've been away for quite some time.

Anyway, i have a quick question: Is it possible to apply preconscious processing to listening?

In other words, is it possible to do something like 'photolistening' if such a term existed?

I ask because I'm thinking about how people learn languages. Much of it is highly dependent upon listening.

Basically, I wonder if the Photoreading techniques can be applied to auditory input in some way, shape, or form.

For example, what would happen if a person were to go into the photoreading state using the 3-2-1 process, and then listen to a short foreign language listening section accompanied with a transcript.

Maybe the listener can then 'activate' the text by consciously asking questions about the content and listening to the text in layers?? Then again, I suppose the reading part would be photoreading...

I wonder if I'm on to something, or if I'm completely off the wall....

I suppose because listening is linear, the photoreading skills wouldn't apply directly.
I think I just answered my question. Or... is it possible to listen nonlinearly?? o_O? =)

Thoughts anyone?

-Jason

I'm probably not qualified to reply to this but my thoughts are that It's certainly possible to enhance your hearing in a similar way to boosting your peripheral awareness with photo-focus.

There are several meditative listening techniques I've tried such as focusing on only sounds near to you and then only sounds far away & alternating between the two - this is called "ranging" I think. Also, tuning into multiple conversations in a coffee shop. It's about becoming aware of what your conscious mind normally filters out as noise.

I've also had some success with a language course that had a meditation/relaxation step prior to listening to the tapes, followed by activation by combined audio/visual re-iterations.

As a musician, I'm conscious that different people are stimulated to very different degrees by audio input and I believe those who are less responsive are so due to nurture rather than nature. I would say it's entirely possible for everyone to learn to improve their audio perception and to use pre-conscious hearing (normally filtered noise) to absorb and learn.

I guess that's why subliminal audio advertising was banned in the same way that 1-frame video advertising was. Do people still play their records backwards? lol

btw - Have you seen "pzizz"? It's a relaxation device/audio-software that amongst other things involves subtle soundscapes offset at different frequencies in each ear - the frequency differential intended to induce 'beats' between the ears which stimulate alpha/beta/theta brainwaves (depending on beat frequency) to enhance relaxation. If this works then it is surely inducing the accelerative learning state?

Interesting question.

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Jazzmoose,

Which language course are you referring to?

Also, I really think that there must be a way to absorb tons of sounds all at once, so as to greatly speed up language learning.

I realize that vocal repetition helps me retain foreign words/phrases/sentences, but I wonder if there's an easier way to retain them.

Learning Strategies Admin

Have you checked out the Fast Finish in the Learning strategies courses? I've experimented with it and tried it before listening at a normal speed I pushed it to 8 times the normal speed at 10 times I found diminished results. It does add to the listening time but one regular listening brought me the benefit of 2 or 3 regular listening.

It's more of a Genius Code topic and I think has already been discussed there.

Alex

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex,

Can you elaborate on what you said? I don't quite follow.

Quote:

I've experimented with it and tried it before listening at a normal speed I pushed it to 8 times the normal speed at 10 times I found diminished results.

Are you saying that 8 times the normal speed works well, but 10 times the normal speed doesn't?? Also, how did you speed it up to 8 times the normal listening speed? Did you use some special software what is available on the internet?

Quote:

It does add to the listening time but one regular listening brought me the benefit of 2 or 3 regular listening.

What adds to the listening time? And are you saying that 10 times the normal speed requires that you listen more?

How can one regular listening give you the benefit of 2 or 3 regular listening??

And what do you mean by regular listening?

I ask because I don't understand your words.

Sincerely,

-Jason

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Hmm... I realize that Windows Media Player has a speed playback option. But I wonder: Is there a way to save audio playing that quickly?

yes Adobe audition has and I understand audacity also has it.

Found making them a waste of time. Takes at least 10 minutes. The you listen 15 minutes and if the recording is only 30 minutes you may as well listen to it normally in that time. That's why I prefer media player.

Pre listening I do while working on the computer. One normal listening and I have done the course. I notice that I understand it with the first listening as when I've listened 3 or 4 times.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved