Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cosmo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Guys,

Hope you all are well..

This questions is constantly nagging me from past few days. I have ebook copies of my school textbook (exact word to word) and I have been wondering what would be more effective in terms of photoreading (the flipping part only) since hard copies take a huge time and my hand gets sore after a long time of flipping, How effective is photoreading ebook than photoreading the same hard copy in terms of quality of result? Has anyone got any difference?

Secondly, when photofocused on the computer screen, all text gets doubled ( every word appears twice) and mixed up (left side text mixing with right side).
Does the brain understand this properly? I mean, doesnt it get total chaotic for the brain to cancel out doubled up words and comprehend the deformed text?

Thanks!!

Learning Strategies Admin

I find PhotoReading electronic text just as easy as physical text. Activation of electronic text is a bit more difficult since you cannot just thumb the book to open to the exact page you need. It also lacks the cognitive cues, right page, left page, x deep or high between the thumb and fingers holding the book. The slight smudges, tears, creases and folds that all become part of the greater conscious cues to help you activate.

Since those things affect traditional reading more, PhotoReading greatly improves reading on electronic devices. The lack of the cues mentioned above have been shown to make understanding text more difficult for the traditional reader.

PhotoReading is reading with a purpose, so flip those pages and activate.

Alex

Cosmo Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay, thanks Alex,

But what about the text doubling? How does our brain underatand that!?

Thanks.

Text doubling doesn't really happen. The brain processes it as single pages. We think we see it as doubled because that's the way the mind is able to show both in the same instant. Like music and words, both heard at the same time perceived to be overlapped by the ear-mind but by inner perception they are separated and sorted accordingly.

Alex

I like this explanation Alex, Thanks!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved