Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
drsajid Offline OP
OP Offline

Day by day, I am becoming better and confident Photoreader, thanks to your expert suggestions and useful forum from the website.

Still, I have some queries about it, especially the Activation Step

As it goes,

Lets suppose I am reading one History book which revolves around one Particular group, i.e Moghal Imperial on India ,

And my PURPOSE here is :
1. To find out the impact of the Moghals on socio-economic condition on the world in that time duration

2. HOw it influenced the world ?

3. What is significance/impact of that Imperialism in today's world?

Then I gone thorugh all the steps,,

ANd after photoreading, suppose I picked up trigger words. so the

QUESTION 1 : Can I pick up the chapter name as trigger words?
Sometimes it happens that all the chapter names are lookin important, so can I pick em up all ?

then...as I move forward.. I raise the questions to authors.

QUESTION 2: and I have questions regarding all the chapter name (i.e. Trigger words).
what then?
Suppose if I take only 3 questions ( 3 chapters!!) for initial layer of activation and I activate that chapter only...(This solves my query about that particular chapter though)
then what to do about next trigger word i.e Chapters? next layer of activation?

QUESTION 3: Then I have to activate all the chapter.. turn by turn or layer by layer or trigger words by trigger words?

QUESTION 4 : Many times,,it happens that our Purpose as in this articular case... is also in the form of question.. so what about those quesions?
should I focus on them initialy in the Activation.. or should I consider it later after solving the questions which I raised after postviewing ?

Learning Strategies Admin

Your purpose is fine

2 and 3 are not a purpose but questions. Questions that relate directly to your purpose so you'd be looking for the parts of the book where you will find the answers. If the book does provide the answers.

Question 1.
Yes, you can use the chapter name as a trigger word. Your curiosity can also lead you to focusing on a particular chapter in detail first. This will be the case when a chapter heading ties in neatly with your immediate purpose.

Flip through the book and notice the relevant pages. In this case you already have two main questions. You'll look for the relevant pages for the first and for the second. In your postviewing you probably don't need to choose trigger words so much as verifying that the book can answer your questions, and satisfy your purpose. And when it all looks relevant, from the table of content. Check where you want to start.

Question 2...

It's starting to sound like you're dealing with a textbook. Treat each chapter as a book in itself. That means you'll check the chapter and pull trigger words for each chapter. I suggest keeping the trigger words and postviewing of the chapter brief, as soon as you form questions, go ahead and activate for 15 minutes or so.

Question 3,

That depend on how well you've satisfied your purpose. Have you found what you're looking for. Your two key questions that came from your purpose can be answered without spending a lot of time in each chapter. Remember to stay focused on what you want from the author.

Question 4,

I may have answered that already.

Those questions that came from your purpose are the ones you are activating the book for. Don't get sidetracked, focus on what is important. You can get the lesser stuff and interesting stuff you stumbled upon during your activation later. Since your purpose produced some clear questions, stay focused on getting that answered. After all that is your purpose for reading the book, right?

Alex

drsajid Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you very much Alex,
I will apply those principles in next reading session.

Next thing, I have query about activation in layers, what does it really mean?

Also, I want to know how to activate the books which are like sort of a manual or in which you are suppose to do some exercise step by step OR lets just say what if the book is like 8 week guide to XYZ... then how am I suppose to activate it?

One more thing, I dont know whther its appropriate to ask this question in this forum or create new or go through old forums, but,
I want to know about setting a purpose While reading magazine,
magazines may have around 20-30 articles so how can we define our purpose out there?

THnx

Dr.Sajid

Activation layers means activate for a set time. Take a break to regroup, refresh, check your purpose, decide if you need to activate more, if so; prepare what's your purpose, how long you're going to activate for this layer?

If the book is a how to in 8 days book I'd activate each "days" chapter in one or two activation layers. Since how to in 8 days usually involves doing specific experiential task you probably need to set aside a recommended time.

Magazines generally have a specific theme or topics they cover. Consider why you bought the magazine then PhotoRead it for that purpose. If you're buying a magazine there usually is a purpose.

Alex

drsajid Offline OP
OP Offline

OK..thnx a lot..

thank you for answering...

about magazine... suppose I have bought Scientific American issue , which talks about 20-30 articles,
say from Human brain to plant life to animal kingdom, and I want to go through 10-15 articles in it..
so what should be my purpose??

~Dr.SAjid

Purpose.

Why do you want o go through those articles? After PhotoReading the whole magazine, activate those article with your purpose in mind.

Alex

drsajid Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok. Means I have to clearly define the purpose for particular articles in magazine.

Simply, so that I can use this information in the future will do for most magazine articles. That's a purpose.

Why are you reading the magazine, to satisfy your curiosity on a subject, career, hobby, learning?

Alex

drsajid Offline OP
OP Offline

To know what are the recent advances on scoentific world
To have updated info about recent researches

Or
To have general knowldge about current events in the world and nation and whats their effect and what can be its consequences !

That's not a purpose though. The purpose is in the answer you have for my my next question for you.

Why?

Why is it important to you.

You don't need to post it. Just notice it. When you have the answer to why you have your purpose your reason and you'll know how and what articles you want to spend time activating.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved