Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

What do you do if there's a LOT of words you don't know?

In the previewing stage, we pull out trigger words, right? So, in this stage, with new material, there's often between 25-250 new words I've never seen before. That said, the 2 strategies I've used to handle this are:
  • Tackle it day-by-day (i.e. preview and pull out 20-25 new trigger words a day... instead of spending 5 hours writing down words), and learning from them by super-reading and dipping/Googling the definitions, or
  • Do a definition show-down for, say, a week (still using Google)
I've heard something about using mind maps for vocabulary. Anyone done this successfully? And if so, what's your strategy behind it? Beliefs? Thoughts?

Last edited by Aaron Bell; 07/03/15 11:59 AM.
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:
What do you do if there's a LOT of words you don't know?

PhotoRead the book. If the mind doesn't understand the words it will want you to look them up.

Books that introduce unusual word usually include a glossary, you'll PhotoRead that as part of the PhotoReading step anyway. The first activation layer should be looking over the glossary to ensure both you and the author agree on the meaning of words.

If there is no glossary,.... use a dictionary.

Quote:
In the previewing stage, we pull out trigger words, right? So, in this stage, with new material, there's often between 25-250 new words I've never seen before. That said, the 2 strategies I've used to handle this are:

Nope, Since 2000 we've been encouraging people to keep previewing to 60 seconds. And pull the trigger words during postviewing. In 2007 the PhotoReading home study course was updated to reflect what we've been teaching in Seminars.

Quote:
Tackle it day-by-day (i.e. preview and pull out 20-25 new trigger words a day... instead of spending 5 hours writing down words), and learning from them by super-reading and dipping/Googling the definitions, or
Do a definition show-down for, say, a week (still using Google)

What's the purpose?

I recommend that at the very least you read the PhotoReading book 4th edition. And learn the 5 steps of the system.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved