Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kajong Offline OP
OP Offline

Is it just me or are others also finding the voice actress for MO getting in your way of listening to the recordings? She speaks in a deliberate way like she's trying to command authority, but to me she just sounds like she's trying too hard. The unnaturalness of it makes it hard for me to take in the material...

Paul said at the beginning of the CD that they hired voice actors so that Vera's accent doesn't get in the way of our learning, but this voice actress' deliberate way of speaking, making her sound like she's from the 1950's, really gets in the way. I tried many times to just grit my teeth and get through the course but she just gets to me in the end and I end up stopping the CD's. I never got to CD 2. That's how bad it is.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!

Learning Strategies Admin

Usually when something like that "grates" on you it's an opportunity for personal growth. Does the actress really grate or is a way to excuse procrastination? I never had a problem with the speaker because she worked to speak clearly. Something that if find lacking with many female speakers. That is, I cannot hear them. So for me the voice actress is a blessing.

It's funny when men speak like that it's great and for women... not so?

Alex

kajong Offline OP
OP Offline

To each one's own, really. I never had an issue with unclear reading from female narrators and even if that did happen it wouldn't bug me at all. So, different pet peeves for different people. My issue was her apparent acting/smugness in her tone of voice that got in the way of delivering the material. I raised this issue because the material is education-focused and so therefore I'd expect neutral delivery that doesn't get in the way of the audience's learning.

Nope, not procrastination. I've had no problem going through other courses from LS.

I think you're reading too much into my post - nowhere did I hint that it's great for men to speak in a certain way and for it to be not OK for women.

How did you even come up with that?

Like I noted, it's okay when men deliver instructional material that way. Smug as you describe it. Though they usually call it confident not smug. When women express themselves with confidence people have issues with it.

It isn't just the female presenter on the Memory Optimizer course that where it was brought to my attention that people had issue with the female presenter. She coming across "too confidence, it makes them so smug."

I quote that because you're not the only one who "issue" has an issue with her confidence.

Alex

kajong Offline OP
OP Offline

ummm that isn't what I meant at all...I have issues with smugness regardless of gender. there are many male voice actors whom I cannot stand because of their smug delivery.

just wanted to clear that up.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved