Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Learning Strategies Admin

For most people "to pass the test" is not a good enough reason. What are you going to do with it once you passed the test?

And yes, even if the answer is, to pass the test it is a good idea to think of that before you start activating.

Your scratch of information doesn't work for me because I don't get what your purpose is. What's the test about? What are you being tested on and what do you need to know in order to past the unidentified test you're asking about.

What's lacking for me is your real purpose. With out a purpose I'm not remotely interested in the topic.

Quote:

the type of questions I am usually asked in exam-

1. Describe any one of the ground tissues in detail.
2. Write a note on sclerenchyma cells.
3. Describe two types of sclerenchyma in brief.

Now that's ... Sweet.

My questions for the author

[my purpose to describe well enough to pass the test]

What are the details of the ground tissue? {I'd be mapping and drawing them as well.

How could I summarise [note] this?

Are there more than two types... What two would the instructor preferred compare? How does the author compare them.

Now I start activating with those questions in mind.

If you know what your instructor is going to ask you in your test you have your foundation for activation questions.

Alex

I may not need the information once I get through the tests.

Frankly speaking, If I knew what the instructor is going to ask, why will I even need to activate the books!? Or even photoreading them at the first place? Look for the answers to related chapters and I am done.
But it doesnt happen that way. And as far as I know, no top universities do that.

I tried mindmapping but I find it very slow. I am a visual learner and my preferred style of learning had been to visualize particularly everything I read. Can I use this as an activation tool? If yes, how?

Thanks.

Ask the instructor what will be tested. ask for previous years test.

If you don't plan on using what you learn, why are you sitting through the course?

Alex

Well, I cant do that everytime. And why cant I form questions myself than let the instructor do it for me!?

I want to get much more from the books I am activating than answer a few questions. I would like to be proficient in all those subjects that bog me down everytime.
It seems difficult to achieve the level of proficiency with the process of just asking questions and finding answers. And so, I need additional tools as well that will help me get what dipping wont give me. Besides, you advice to use NOPS, dont u?

Also, this webpage startled me. This gentleman, Win Wenger mentions he isnt a proficient photoreader, but mastered two books in a photoreading 30-minutes mastery seminar.
http://www.winwenger.com/part100.htm

Its not financially possible for me to attend this particular mastery seminar, but would like to be proficient in my subjects the same way he has mentioned in that webpage. Interestingly, He doesnt mention of using any other methods like image streaming freenoting etc, which he has invented himself.
Thats why I am struggling hard to do everything i can, to increase my proficiency and in-depth knowledge of what I am activating.

If you could form the questions yourself you'd have perfected the PhotoReading system for yourself.

If you're getting bogged down it means you're activating too long and forgot your purpose.

Yes, Win Wenger did that at the PhotoReading Retreat. He used the system following the 5 steps as taught in the course.

You'll notice that Win has a purpose. That's why he's proficient. And he did a lot of freenoting. It's an interesting technique and I do find myself doing a condensed version of it while activating some books. I have a stack of notebooks which I start freenoting in during activation. My purpose isn't to just learn what others have to say and be able to parrot it back. I'm not tested on the information. It's personal research so freenoting is an exploration of my own thoughts.

If you're going to try freenoting you'll have to PhotoRead the book and then start writing on the topic without postviewing. Write about 10 pages which for most people will be 60 minutes of fast writing. That's one reason most won't use free-noting. You also need to throw away the first 4 pages.

Image streaming after PhotoReading before postviewing is interesting again. Though you need to remember that image streams are metaphorical and it's difficult to recognise the relationship to the book. It works better if you've already learned to decode the images.

You're struggling because you continue to go over the first step of the system too lightly and not sticking to the times you intended for activation.

If you've done the home study course. Then you would have done at least 1 book of your own before turning to your school work.

I keep repeating this a lot. Do Not attempt to learn the system on school work. Work on books using the 5 day test on subject not related to school-work until you're experience that gelling with a couple of books.

Also if you're working on textbooks stop trying to rush it. Textbooks normally take 26 to 100 hours of reading using traditional reading. You're not going to be finished with a textbook in 20 minutes.

That's another reason to do the 5 day test on other books first. You learn to chunk your reading. The 5 day test is done on books of about 200 pages.

Alex

Whatever purpose Win had, He activated those books for 30 minutes and became thoroughly proficient. What I notice here-

1. He did not dip into the entire book in 30 minutes.(for sure)
2. He could become proficient in the entire therapeutic system even without having dipped in most of the parts of the book.

How does this feat can only be related to 'purpose' alone?

There is no denying the photoreading system stands on the pillar of purpose. But there are a few things that are very confusing-
1. how to find a purpose that brings me in depth knowledge and proficiency
2. how does change in purpose changes the result.
I mean, I remember that example in the book, setting a purpose for reading in dentist's office for distraction. Okay. I set that purpose, but then how will superreading and dipping help me distract my mind from the destist preparing for root canal? and where do I go to superread and where do I dip in such scenario?

thanks..

This purpose helped him to find where to dip. What pages of the book to focus on.

Quote:
1. how to find a purpose that brings me in depth knowledge and proficiency

Have you considered you can activate the PhotoReading book to answer that. Superread and dip page 24.

Quote:
2. how does change in purpose changes the result.

How does it not. If someone reads the same book for a different reason, do you doubt they would find significant information related to their purpose?

You get 30 people read a two page article and ask them to find a sentence that explained the whole article to them in a meaningful way to them you will have at least 18 different sentences.

Quote:
, but then how will superreading and dipping help me distract my mind from the destist preparing for root canal? and where do I go to superread and where do I dip in such scenario?

That is a rather poor example. To be distracted you can read anything. That's why people don't care how old the magazine is, If they want to be distracted they just read, or count holes in the wall in front of them or chew off their fingernails.

If you're purpose is to be distracted you can just look at the pages of the book. You won't remember anything anyway by the time you leave the chair. Traditional reading works the same.

Alex

So I got my senior to form some questions for me.. She handed over a list of questions to me related to one of my subjects. There are 30 questions in total, and they may not cover the entire subject.

I will start with them, but after finishing them, how will I cover the portions these questions dont cover?

thanks..

Create your own set of questions for the portions that are not covered by the questions your senior form for you.

You need to take responsibility for your own learning. Alex is here to help but she cannot and should not constantly hold your hand. The same goes for the senior who formed a list of questions for you.

What you are studying right now others before you have learned and mastered what you are studying. They did have to make a effort and do the work to master the material and you will have to make an effort and do the work if you wish to master the material.

There are no free lunches. You do not get something for nothing. If you truly want to master the material you need to make an effort and do the work.

You need to listen better. Much of your problem is not listening to Alex well and not applying her advice then you go and do things your own way and things are not working out well for you because you are not using the Photoreading system correctly and when Alex gives you correct information on how to use the system correctly so you can have success with the system and you choose to ignore Alex's advice or do things your own way things do not work out very well for you.

Speaking of ignoring I gave you some advice that you completely ignored previously and did not even acknowledge.

Photoread4me.

I never ignored any advice. I just cant afford to. This system is not working for me and I am working to make it work for me.

You dont understand what kind of mental trauma a struggler goes through, do you?
I ask repeatedly because I still get stuck somewhere with the advice and help offered. I dont do it for fun or without reading what others answer to my posts. If my questions irritate you can choose to ignore.

I was advised to ask instructor for questions, because of which I went on obtaining the questions. Why rely on third person for my reading goals otherwise!?
You would have understood my problem and the context of my questions if you followed some previous posts. You didn't read it properly, did you!?

You advised me to 'keep on applying layers and not to give it up, so at the end it will start to gel..!' This is not an advice dear, this is the question! a very big question with which I am wrestling from long. If I ask help for a problem doing butterfly stroke in swimming, would you ever say, keep on doing it and eventually it will work?!

I am not ignorant. I rather am finding an opportunity to thank you when you target my question precisely and help me get a breakthrough.

I do value people and efforts. Not the formality.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved