Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello
I have been using photoreading and have been finding it useful. However, I experience a lot of frustration when turning pages. It is often difficult to be relaxed when you are trying to prop up a book at an appropriate distance and angle. Quite often pages get stuck together. I know the advice is to not worry about an occassional page sticking to the next one as you are trying to get an overall sense of the text and don't require to see every single page. My problem is that often many pages stick together or it varies page to page as to how tight they are to each other. There is variation between books too. Because of this I find it difficult to relax into the photofocus state which requires regular breathing and chanting etc.

hi world student,

you know, I'm a beginner, and I also had some frustration when turning pages, especially, when the books had a lot pages...
Then I looked a little in the forum for an answer.
After some searching I found that you can also sing or talk to other people when you are photoreading.
So you can relax very fast, and you can concentrate on singing while you turn the pages. Or you can also think about your life or something like that.

And now to the problem that many pages stick together.
I think this depends mostly on the bookpages, but you can try to turn the pages not so fast.
Another method you can use is that you take Plastic gloves for turning the pages.
Try it out!!

I wish you good luck.

OP Offline

Dear Phil

Thank you very much for your reply.

It is interesting to hear from you that you can carry out other activities during page turning. I presume that this implies that the activity does not have to be rhythmical?

Your suggestion for using plastic (latex) gloves is great! I find it unpleasant catching and running my finger along the dry flat of the page as it gives me the 'right through me' sensation similar to fingernails running down blackboards etc (pathetic, I know). I have just tried some plastic gloves and it is so much more comfortable! In addition, I would sometimes try licking my fingers to help them catch onto the page which is not very pleasant and difficult to sustain and time. So, as you suggest, the gloves have the friction to catch the page well. I think I will go and buy some finger protectors so I don't have to cover my whole hand with the latex all the time.

Thanks for your very helpful post Phil. I appreciate you taking the time.

Best wishes

hi world student,

I'm glad that I could help you.
You weren't sure if you have to be rhythmical or not.
You are right that you don't have to do it rhythmical.

I do it always that I try to do it rhythmical (because it's easier) , but I don't care when I began to get unrhythmical.

OP Offline

That's good. Thanks again Phil

Learning Strategies Admin

Yes page turning should be rhythmical. Use the chant suggested or create your own.

About page turning and pages getting stuck. If you try to lift the pages from the corner they will get stuck more often than not. To lift the pages start near the middle where the book curves slide the finger across the top to the corner. This separates the pages. You'll also get a bit of lift if you push the page up with a light pressure of your thumb.

Two other things to make page turning easier. Prepare the book first. If you don't prepare a new book you'll risk breaking the pages away from the spine so it's good practice to prepare the book (especially your own new books).

As part of preparing them you fan them to get air between the pages. It's a good idea to do that with any book just before PhotoReading.

Also for library books the corners are often stuck because people lick their finger to turn the pages (don't do that). Turn the book upside down and PhotoRead it like normal only upside down.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks a lot Alex. That is very useful.

Any other tips for preparing a book?

Suggestion for page turning that I have found useful:

Remember those rubber thimble-type things with the little points pointing outwards rather than inwards (haven't got a clue what they're called so hope the description makes sense)?

I've just started using one to help with page turning and suddenly I can turn pages rhythmically and without stress.

YAY!!!!

Kind regards to all

Cheryl-Anne

I tried them. I still found starting near the middle and sliding the finger toward the corner of the page better than trying to lift from the corner. Once the students in my class get this they have no problem with page turning. When they do have trouble they are trying to start the lift too close to the corner.

The rubber thimbles have a few names depending on where you live wink

Alex

About the singing or talking to others while your turning the pages, I am just beginning, and ive only done three books. However, last night i was successfull (selling?) on my therd try, and i think its because i was watching a movie. My favorite movie, very relaxed, laughing occasionaly, just playfully turning the pages,not even realy photofocussing. I repeated the PR step 3 times, then scanned each page down the middle, then put it away. 3 hours later, out of curiosity, i took a comprehention test and passed it with a 75%.

This leads me to ask, would it work better if i had music on instead of a movie? Or does it not matter so long as your relaxed?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved